The people of the woods


Many years ago I worked in the Mental Rehabilitation Centre of Santo Domingo. Among the cases of posttraumatic syndrome strangest war I tried, was that of a young soldier whose partners had all died in combat; the boy was found by a group of farmers, hidden in a small cave near a stream, shivering and had apparently lost his speech, he was in a state of shock that he could never recover.

But a stormy night and I looked to my surprise first spoke accessing tell a story that can not qualify more than horrific. I do not know what reason led him to imagine such a hallucination. Here is his story:

"The night was already late when the captain gave the order to stop, had been moving through the sweltering jungle for about six hours without finding a trace of the rebels. They tended a trap ... we had been on the wrong track; we were surprised and ambushed our unit, we were now only four survivors trying to save our lives. I know it's not worthy of a soldier flee but ... What else could we have done? We were only four against ... too.

We sat slowly and quietly, darkness had become very dense and fat raindrops had replaced the drizzle that had accompanied us throughout the day, as we try to protect ourselves from the rain.

I guess we should present a sorry sight; I saw the pain in the captain's face and my colleagues, I think this is too much, that is, when you become a soldier think you're invincible, nothing can destroy you because you're the good, you struggle for peace and justice and even know it is likely that these situations may occur; the moment of truth ... you're never prepared for death to your colleagues, your friends, the men with whom you have formed and have shared so much, your brothers.

I took out of my pocket a photograph of Luisa and watched, it had taken during a sunset on the beaches of Cartagena. Lucia with his beautiful curly hair, air, and I smiled as only she knew how.

I looked at my colleagues, Gary was tall and lanky, was staring off somewhere, the truth is that hardly spoke with him, he was a guy of few words and few friends. Mario had found a rock to sit and appeared to be crying but tried to hide it. The captain; who had moved away a little, he returned and ordered us to rest and gave shifts to keep the charge, he assigned me to my third shift, after Gary. I tried to relax ignoring torturing insects and that's when I thought I hear, it was as soft murmurs that seemed to come from everywhere. I immediately alerted the other, they also heard Mario speculated that it could be a village nearby, but the captain was suspicious, said it could be a rebel camp, suddenly the whispers stopped and the forest returned to the monotonous sound rain, waited about half an hour but they were repeated.

The rain died down and fell asleep. Even today I think I hear the cry of Gary woke me. It was not exactly a cry, but rather was ... God! as a scream, a scream of terror that chilled my veins, got up and wield our guns, Gary was not in the guardhouse, laughter could be heard as many people around us, we could not see them, but it was clear that mocking us and delighted with our fear, the captain was shouting asking strangers on pain of opening fire were identified, but the laughter rose to cruel and macabre laughter. Then we returned to hear Gary screaming for help and ran towards the direction from which they came firing back at the thicket.

I do not know exactly how we ran, I estimate that about one kilometer; I only know that the cries of horror were heard Gary always at the same distance as much as we tried to reach him; until suddenly ceased and stopped, apparently whoever they were those of the mysterious laughter had not followed us, anyway we stood back to back with guns in firing position.

The rain had finally ended and the clouds began to disperse, the brightness of the moon illuminated the tops of tall trees, but not us because vegetation was very dense, there was almost complete silence, perhaps it was better that way, in the state in which we found ourselves if an owl would have sung the quiet with a torrent of bullets.

passed about two hours that helped calmáramos some our disturbed minds, the captain tried to elevate the moral, said the rebels were very clever and congratulated them because managed to scare him and kidnap one of his men into his nostrils but for the sake of them it was better than they had been hurt ...

But I, and I'm sure Mario also doubted.

Suddenly a cool breeze filtered through the trees shook, the captain had remained silent in the midst of his speech looking in all directions, my senses were sharpened the most ... suddenly we saw around us were like silhouettes, blurred shadows , jumping at speed through the branches of the trees around us and then pounced on us, I think I could compare it to being in the middle of a flock of birds or giant bats, moved among us, touching our bodies, scratching our arms and faces, it was horrible, screamed and tried to protect us and beating them or shooting them away but strangely our fists were only with air, and bullets seemed to affect them in the least. In our desperation we all advised us that instinct, have to run again.

Despite the terror that invaded us at least we stayed together, we leave behind but not for long, as we ran we heard a constant fluttering behind us and look back could see a thick black cloud moved over the trees in our direction.

We ran and ran through the jungle to get out of breath, until our forces arrived almost to the limit and fell on the wet and muddy earth awaiting whatever fate deparase us, when we notice that we were alone again, felt some relief Mario and captain, but there was something that did not fit me, whatever they were these creatures were very fast, could not understand why they had not given us powerful and thought crossed my mind, but I pushed him away just wanting something out unfounded .

He spent about an hour, Mario finally broke down and began to mourn, the captain had been kneeling with his eyes on the floor and looked at him as if to rebuke him, but did nothing and turned to stare at the ground, now he was a beaten man, not only in arms but in his soul; We not know what to do, how to act or what to think, this seemed like a nightmare, a cruel and horrible nightmare.

Then something caught my eye in the distance and stuck a small hill near the summit was distinguished the faint but unmistakable glow of a bonfire.

The small orange glow threw us a glimmer of hope and immediately rushed over to there no matter how exhausted we were, just wanting to get out sooner that damn jungle, do not know why but I honestly thought that the fire move away ghosts or they were, like when you're a kid and you're sure that if you keep lit the lamp next to your bed the closet monster will not dare to leave. It may sound a little selfish but at that point we did not care any more; We did not think even in what had become of Gary; all our mind, all our energy and strength were concentrated in coming to this tiny point of light.

Hill was on the other side of a small valley that descended to cross, in the background you crossed a stream of crystal clear waters that glistened in the moonlight.

All streams lead somewhere and pondered the idea that it might be better to take its course instead of going up the hill, but discarded the idea because the fire was now very close and hypnotic power which attracted us to a supposed safety. OMG! Why I did not listen to that inner voice?

We climbed down the gentle slope, as we ascended the vegetation became less dense. The summit was treeless but covered with high weeds and sticky; go through it drawn to the clarity with our guns ready, despite the apparent futility of these, we were reluctant to leave, because as we were taught: a soldier can leave their mission, their orders and even his life, but never his rifle.

Finally we left the bush and we saw the fire, was in the middle of a clearing about two hundred meters and around them was a group of people standing in a circle around her, people of flesh and blood, no shadows or ghosts. We were heading toward them convinced to salvation.

As we approached we found that spoke or whispered among themselves. We stopped surprised just steps from the circle, all wore black robes, men were bald or shaved head and women wore a hood or cap on the hair, they were quite pale but beautiful features; They kept their eyes closed and their arms extended on both sides of the body together with its neighbors by the palms of his hands up, but they were not immobile, no, gently swaying on either side to the beat of their whispers, now could identify as a kind of unintelligible chant.

For a moment we failed to do, apparently they had not seen us; Captain stepped forward and saluted loudly identifying and requesting help, but they even took notice, however, the pitch of the song escalated. The situation did not please me at all, there was something in the hymn, I do not know exactly who it was because I did not understand but I had the feeling something profane ... blasphemy ...

The captain decided to moved and touched the shoulder of one of them and suddenly stopped the song, the dancers stood in unison and froze, then it opened a little circle, where the captain was just as inviting to enter, They were still with their eyes closed.

Mario grabbed my arm and it startled me, I was shaking and I pointed to the ground; I looked and I bent down to pick it up, it was a piece of cloth torn and bloodstained, I let go at once, it was unmistakable, the camouflaged army.

I looked at Mario, his face showed that frightened me was thinking the same thing.

Suddenly we heard the crack of the gun captain falling on the sand, it was inside the circle had closed again behind him ... and loved ... they opened their eyes.

I was horrified watching them, they were evil, demonic, totally white eyes without pupils and completely lifeless. One subject had kept staring at me

- captain? - Mario said in a pleading voice. But he did not answer. Meanwhile one of the youths took the circle, seemed to look directly at the captain's eyes, we could see the reaction of this because he had his back to us, others resumed their rhythmic swaying softly with his song; Captain took three steps toward the fire and stopped.

Then we saw something ... impossible ... the young, with arms extended to the sides began to levitate, and rose in the air until about four meters to be located just above the fire, thereupon lowered his arms and then extended his left to the captain, the choir grew in intensity and movement.

And we look horrified as Captain also began to rise, seemed to have the rigid body and when he came to it, they both turned at an angle of 90 degrees and could see his face, it was a look of terror, his teeth were clenched as if trying to say something but could not do it and his eyes anxious and tearful pleading looked at us that we could not do anything powerless.

What we saw then ... honestly ...

(Here the patient had an attack of weeping and hysteria, but after a few minutes quieted and continued)

His face ... Oh God !, his face began to change ... a gruesome way ... his skull stretched up dropping the cap and giving an aberrant form to his head, his eyes also stretched upward and achinaron, but only at the ends as in the area near the bridge of the nose did not move, but worst of all was his mouth ... jaw reached down and his teeth grew in a grotesque way, only the tusks protruding fifteen centimeters. Now the song was tall, almost deafening, in language that, despite my limited knowledge of languages'm sure no one had heard.

And the hideous creature, squeezing the captain against his body stabbed violently long teeth into his neck, I could almost hear the collar bones broken and rotting wood, I think I drank his blood, but he did voracious and wildly like a hungry beast . The infamous chorus climaxed with a raised their hands to the sky, to the moon ... thunder that shone right in the zenith.

Then the creature lifted his head and eyes on the moon cried out from beyond the grave and satisfaction that echoed through the valley ... and released the body of the captain who fell lifeless on the fire. The group uttered aloud.

Panic seized me, my legs buckled and fell to my knees, the ominous feeling that he had hours before was true, these monsters had been playing us cat and leading us inevitably mouse to this place to serve as victims in their macabre rites.

I put my hands to my head and squeezed tightly. For heaven's sake, where was I ?, where I had brought the fate ?, What was this forest hellish place where demons roamed free as lords and masters feeding on the blood and lives of humans?

A thought ... - Mario - opened my eyes again and the group had started the song again, the creature had taken human form again and returned to his post; in its place he was now one of the men and Mario coming toward him helplessly.

No ... it could not happen again again therefore, I pounced on him trying to keep him but an invisible force threw me into the air backwards, I do not understand how, but I was certain it was the work of the man who had stayed staring.

Mario stopped, I think I was working hard and using all his strength and managed to mumble mumble ...

- Run! - And suddenly he turned his head forward and began to rise toward the man who was already waiting hovering over the fire.

I hope you can understand, let me hurt Mario, but ... I could not do anything for him and really did not want to witness ... So I threw myself into the race.

I did not go down the hill by the same route of ascent but on the side at which the current of the stream was headed, there were trees again, in fact in this part of the forest was more tangled, the moon was hidden momentarily by a cloud so I walked almost blindly, guided only by the most basic survival instinct; ... rather galloping ran through the thick foliage and I could not help it ... I saw the cliff and get slipped downhill, I tried to cling to leaves and branches during the fall but it was useless.

No regard was unconscious but I'm sure they had spent several hours because there was no moon and the sky turned a blue indigo, awoke semi-submerged in the rocky stream bed, had all the aching body and hurt terribly arm Right, it was probably a fracture.

I stood up and walked with difficulty, I tried not to think about what had happened and I just focused on walking, but could not, the macabre laughter rang cold and evil in my head.

Suddenly I realized I was wrong, laughter was not in my head, a few meters from me and perched on a branch, staring creature was watching me. Scared tried back but the creature, quick as lightning stood in front of me, then my body stopped and froze answer, just my mind continued lucid ... and I started feeling very light, we rise and stopped; the creature began their horrible transformation, closed my eyes, no way out, just wait for the inevitable but my mind was only an image, the photograph of my pocket ... Luisa, my beloved Luisa never see you again ... ... will not return to brighten my your heart smile angel ... my ... my love ... Luisa

And I fell ... with a dry and dull to wade in the water hit, I could move again and I thought I saw the creature writhing in pain ... his hand ... something had burned ... something almost negligible ... the first ray of sunshine that gave by It finished that awful night as divine light filtered through the trees and hit the hand. The creature looked at me with a fierce hatred and swiftly fled into the bush. Then the sun bathed me with its reviving, and energetic celestial light, I closed my eyes to feel the heat through my body.

I sat up, I sensed that the creatures would return in the evening, so I walked away down stream following the course of the clear stream ...